If you are planning to file for a personal injury claim, the foremost crucial thing for you to do is hire an excellent personal injury lawyer emotional distress who can help you in getting the best settlement.
Filing a claim for emotional distress due to a personal injury can be a tedious task, however, getting a good compensation can make the trouble worthwhile. Here are some awesome tips for getting the best settlement in a personal injury case.
- Set a minimum settlement amount in your mind before demanding the claim, this helps you in having a firm picture in your mind and does not allow you to settle for anything less. However, you must make sure that this amount is not an exaggeration but is in the ballpark of a realistic figure.
- You must not jump at the first offer made by the opposite party, even if they are paying something that you want. Because when a person offers something, they have a stretch limit because they are expecting that you will negotiate further. So it is actually good to let your attorney do some more negotiations.
- If you emphasize on the emotional points regarding your injury, it is possible that the compensation will go in your favor. Say for example your abilities of caring for your child were hampered due to the injuries, you can bring that up and say that your child also suffered as a result of the injury. Things like this are certain to tug at the emotional strings.
- When both the parties sit together and the other party offers a compensation that you feel is way too low, you must ask the adjuster to justify the amount they are offering. Then your step must be to closely listen to the points and note them down. Then think about the rebuttal to each point and submit a brief letter. One clever thing here would be to lower your demand a little bit if you feel the arguments of the other party have validity.
- If upon hearing their argument you have lowered the demand once, you must patiently wait for their response and not show desperation. It is never a good idea to lower your demand twice before listening to their reply.
By reading these tips we are sure that you must have realized that settling claims is a tricky thing, this is why you must have a good lawyer beside you.